14.5.12

Charles Dickens' Prize For Exceptional Irony: Sir Alfred Joseph Hitchcock





need i say more?

i will anyway.

while his movies are full of tense, romantic, funny, touching, terrifying, etc. scenes, his own personality remains wonderfully deadpan.

he is one of my favorite directors ever. his movies for me are sort of like comfort food. they were made before 1980 (and his earlier ones , 1930's, mostly, are my favorite), they are slightly to very scary, and they have great female characters who technically don't do much besides scream dramatically and have illicit affairs, but still have great hats.

from The 39 Steps (1935). picture from thisdistractedglobe.com.


Alfred Hitchcock quotes:

"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible."

"The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder."

"When an actor comes to me and wants to discuss his character, I say, 'It's in the script'.  If he says, 'But what's my motivation?', I say, 'Your salary'."



find more quotes at: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000033/bio#quotes