16.10.11

Play It Again, Sam (by Libby)

Let me start off by saying I adore the 40s. Fashion wise. And movie wise.
Raise your hand if you've heard of Humphrey Bogart. He is an actor, and one of my 1940s idols. You may have seen him in one of the famous movies with his on/off-screen lover Lauren Bacall.
  
Bogart and Bacall in The Big Sleep (1946)

Bogie's also known for being the iconic Sam Spade in the Maltese Falcon, Charlie in The African Queen (with Katherine Hepburn), and, in one of my favorite movies of all time, Casablanca, he plays Rick Blaine.


Bogie in Casablanca (1942). This scene is incredible, beautiful, and heartwrenching...

If these are not ringing any bells to you, you might as well get off the computer now. Twit.
Bogie was, in a way, a fashion icon. Sort of. Okay, maybe i'm stretching it. But he had this famous look: troubled eyes, the trenchcoat, and the fedora.
Ahh, classic. He makes me wish I was a super dramatic, fabulous secret agent. Me:

My Humphrey Bogart inspired fedora and my $15 trenchcoat (in a beauty pagent i would  be Miss Cheapskate).

I have "troubled" eyes. Ha ha ha.